Friday, November 17, 2006

In trouble with the law, already. 4th November

Back to the story about the one way grid system.
We´ve left Azul with our bellies full, Iain has a new side stand in an effort to stop his bike falling over, and wanting to get on with some riding.
Travelling along Ruta 3 hasn´t been too bad, but Sami (Crazy Fin riding an Africa Twin) had given us some advice on a nice dam that was worth a look. So off we head.
After hours of straight roads again, we see the mountains in the distance. It´s not too long before we reach a small, 3 horse town called Salundgary. Now I say 3 horse town because that´s exactly what I saw being riden down the road. The first gauchos I have seen.
We´ve done the obligatory stopping to ask directions from the guy mowing his front lawn (this seemed to develop into a theme later on) and he sends us two blocks down and to the left. The local policeman has already driven by twice to check us out but the guys take no notice and follow the directions given regardless of the big arrow on the street sign indicating the direction of traffic. Now I´ve heard loads of stories about getting ´fined´for minor traffic offenses and don´t want any part, so I go to the next street at which I can turn left, and head down there. Once around the block and Iain and I find Mike and the supermercado. Iain parks up next to Mike, once again, facing the wrong direction on a one way street and I of course park correctly. They think I´m being overly cautious but it´s me who gets to laugh when the policeman comes into the supermercado and asks them to move their bikes to face the correct way down the street. And as usual, it seems the whole town is squeezed into the rather small shop, to watch the óut of towners´ get busted. All this in a town where there a tumble weeds blowing across the steet and the only other motorvehicle we have seen was being driven by the very friendly policeman.
As a side note, the guys do get the last laugh when I get bitten by the smallest dog as I walk out of the shop. He nearly got his mouth around my pinkie. I think Mike must have pinched him when he walked past first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home