Monday, December 04, 2006

Tierra del Fuego - finally

We get out of town as quickly as possible the next morning - so that'd be about 10-11am. Nothing like taking it easy. (Although the accommodation was crap, they had hot showers)
The ride down to Estrecho de Magallanes goes smoothly, even with our first border crossing into Chile. Although, as the name sounds, it's very chilly. While we wait for the car ferry, I venture to stick a toe in the water. It really is too cold for that, so I manage to take my glove off and in goes a finger. Jesus b=??$%5 %%$%#$. It's freezing.
A short ferry ride, after a run in with the guy loading the ferry, and we have made it to Tierra del Fuego. It's strange but the landscape seems to feel different here, although I'm sure it's pretty much the same. Maybe it's the light, or maybe it's like we finally are making it to the start of our adventure. It's 3pm when we hit the ripio again - about 50 meters from where the ferry docked. So off we head, next stop, San Sabastian border crossing.
We get into the 'zone' on the gravel and it's not as scarry as I had imagined. We pass a few trucks and the guys are off. I can't keep up with the speed, I'm too busy looking at the scenery. It is captivating. There is something about it that I can't describe. So I won't bore you trying. We cross back in to Argentina at about 6:30pm.

'Tierra del Fuego'

Ushuaia is too far to reach that evening, so we stop in Rio Grande. Posh hotel - for us anyway as it includes breakfast. We're looking rather scruffy in our dusty bike kit as the business men come down for breakfast the next morning, in their suits for instant nescafe. Mmmm....yummy! I think I prefer our espresso that we make make in Mike's espresso pot.
So today we will reach the the beginning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home